Thursday, January 6, 2011

New Year... New You...

So, I didn't so so well on my resolution last year. I clearly didn't keep up with blogging. It's time to start fresh again with 2011, and I've got lofty goals for myself once again. This includes the normal cliche of losing weight and taking better care of myself, of course. Then there are those goals that have to do with family and work. Those I'll have to write about in future posts. Let's focus on goal #1: lose 10% of my body weight.

Several years ago -2003 to be exact- when I first returned from my stint as an au pair in Switzerland, my mom and I joined Weight Watchers to set us on a healthier path toward smaller statures. As part of the program, the first goal was to reach 10% weight loss and then set a goal to reach a weight within the healthy range for your height. I was motivated and, luckily, 10% weight loss put me right at the top of the healthy range for my 5'4.5" frame.

Fast forward to 2011. I'm now married and have two beautiful little daughters. The youngest was just born on November 23rd so I'm hanging on to a bit of baby weight. Three days ago I reached the 6-weeks-past-birth date and have started back to the gym. I also signed up for a fitness challenge through the Morale Wellness Recreation (MWR) program on the base. I'm still 10 pounds lighter than I was back in 2003, but heavier than I want to be. The goal now is to lose 15 pounds before heading home for the summer. Do-able? I think so! Especially with Andy's support, a toddler to run around after, and a baby to breastfeed.

One great service MWR provides is a health assessment. You schedule an hour appointment with the fitness office where they measure your fat percentage, assess your fitness level, help you set realistic goals, and help you make a plan to achieve those goals. Then, and possibly most importantly, they meet with you a month after setting these goals to see how you're doing and refocus you if needed. I'm planning for great things to come of this! My appointment is on the 11th. I'll let you know how it goes.

just before Hana was born

No comments: