Saturday, April 22, 2006

Workin' Girl

During the month of March all people who submitted applications to the Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA), but have not yet filled a position, receive an email asking them to update and resubmit their application by early April. If you fail to meet this deadline your application would be thrown out. Clearly I resubmitted. (Thank you Donna, Lisa, Jake, and Peggy for being my references!) The biggest difference made to the application was a switch listing myself as a local hire as opposed to an over-seas hire. Local hires don’t receive near as many benefits as their counterparts, but they are more likely to be employed. Two days after I made that switch I received a phone call from the principal at Ikego (one of the Navy housing areas attached to Yokosuka). He was looking for an art teacher and I was a perfect fit. Another two days later was the interview and then the paperwork process began.

Yesterday I reported for my first day. It was a teacher conference day so I had a chance to touch base with the teacher I was taking over for and meet some of the other teachers. I looked through the materials closet and over the plans for the week to come. I start with the kids on Monday.

Visit the school web page at http://www.ikego-es.pac.dodea.edu/ You can even see the classroom where I’ll be working with the kids.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Better take some spray with you.

The insects there are unusually large.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your new job!

Unknown said...

Congrats!! We are so happy for you. Even though I've lost my work out partner. ARG! We do however still need to plan to take a ride up to Tokyo for IKEA. After all, what's worth working if you can't spend the money?! (OK, I'm joking...bad logic :)