Thursday, June 22, 2006

A Birthday Hike

A couple months ago, as I was looking through the Yokosuka Focus magazine, I saw an opportunity I couldn't pass up. The Outdoor Rec Dept was looking for people to help them lead trips up Mount Fuji this summer. I told Andy what I had in mind and he decided to join me at the orientation meeting. The hike up is pretty easy - just a bunch of switchbacks you follow to the top. The difficult part is the hike down - there's a lot of loose volcanic rock that can be tough on the knees and there's supposed to be one tricky spot where you cane asily take the wrong trail down (there are oodles of trails that go up and down Fuji). Clearly it sounded like a great challenge and we both signed up for the training hike. Our two options for hiking dates were June 17th or 24th. Well, the 24th just so happens to be my birthday and what better way to celebrate a birthday in Japan than to hike Mt Fuji? We've already been to the store to get our snacks and water for the trip. Now all we have to do is get a few hours of sleep before we are due to show up at the bus. It'll be an early morning - we've got to be there at 1.30 for our 3 hour ride to Fuji Station 5. The hike starts there. I'm figuring we'll be at the top sometime between 9am and noon and my fingers are crossed for clear skies. I'd love to get a few photos to share with everyone. However, if it isn't clear, one of the many trips this summer is bound to allow us a great view. I'm hoping in particular that the overnight trip up Fuji in July is clear. Can you imagine how amazing the sunrise will be?

There's a saying in Japan, "A wise person hikes Fuji once, but the person who hikes Fuji more than once is a fool." Call us fools. There are about 10 hikes on our calendar. We probably won't help with every hike, but I'm certain we'll make the trek more than once!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You'll have to fill us in on the details.....:)

Anonymous said...

Wow- awesome! You guys are going to have some great memories of Fuji-san by the end of summer!! I can't wait to hear more!

Jen said...

Mags!
Where will you be teaching?? This is my first year teaching and would love to compare notes with you! Your blog is SO interesting! I love it! When do you come back to the states? Love ya! Jenny

Maggie said...

I'll be teaching 1st grade at Ikego Elementary - the same place where I was teaching art at the end of the last school year. Sadly my position was made part time due to low enrollment so I applied for a full time spot. As for heading back to the states...it's looking like we'll be heading back next summer once my school year has ended. My fingers are crossed that I'll find a fabulous teaching job near our place in Seattle.