Saturday, March 18, 2006

Knitting is not just for old ladies!

When I first arrived and Andy was working the long hours of actual dive time over Christmas, I had to find something to occupy my time while I waited for work to drift my way. I first spent my time running and then looked to the list of classes offered at the community center. Tea box covering...ballet...Japanese...bonzai...knitting... I clearly picked knitting.

When I mentioned going to the class in front of one of the divers, he promptly asked, "What are you...85 years old?!" And then, when I took my knitting into the Starbucks on base, the gang of teacher's husbands that hang out there in the mornings made comments that they felt they were hanging out at a nursing home when I pulled my project out of my bag. I just smiled and started on a new row.

My first two projects after the intitial scarf project were the dish rags you see in these two photos. My current project is a bit bigger and I will definitely be sure to show it off when it is done. In fact I might need opinions about finishing touches. Get your opinions ready!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your projects look great! Knitting is actually catching on again with the younger crowd back in the states too! It's a very handy skill to have! Keep up the great work!

ReyLynda said...

Hey, I want to be in whatever nursing home YOU'RE in if you're creating knitting magic like that!!!

To heck with them, you've got wearable art happening, girl. NICE WORK!

Unknown said...

They look fab! Knittin' is so in....those guys are just out of the loop.

Maggie said...

You guys crack me up! I'm so happy to have friends to root me on in my silliness!

Anonymous said...

Your mother taught me how to knit in highschool! Young people are starting knitting clubs all over the country. (Have you seen the book, Stitch 'n' Bitch? Very contemporary.) Knitting is not for old ladies, because it takes strong hands to manipulate those long pointy tools, that, by the way, make great self-defence weapons. Ninja-knitters! Hiyaaa!
And it looks like you're well on your way to a black belt!

ReyLynda said...

Ninja Knitters!!! I love that! We must make T-shirts (but then again, I must learn to knit first)...

Maggie can be our Dojo Sensei of Knitting!

Anonymous said...

Stitch and Bitch Nation books are pretty awesome. There's Rock-n-Roll dolls, fishnet tights, cool fingerless gloves and other kickass knitted items I'd like. Unfortunately, I'm a crocheter..one needle for me. I also can only make squares..dishrags so far, someday an afghan of squares. Funny too, my grandma could only crochet in circles